Another cruise ship has had power issues and this time its a sparkling new one. The 141,000-ton Royal Princess, which was christened and launched in June by the Duchess of Cambridge, had a power failure on Sunday en route from Mykonos, Greece to Naples, Italy. Princess Cruises said neither the ship nor its 3,594 passengers and 1,336 crew members onboard were in any danger. After assessing the unexpected mechanical issue, though, Princess has canceled the rest of the ships 12-day cruise. "The ships technical team continued to evaluate the problem overnight and, upon further assessment, it became apparent that repairs need to be made to fully resolve the situation," the line said in its latest statement. We sincerely regret this means the remainder of the current cruise will be canceled, Princess said, also noting it was making flight arrangements to help guests return home after the ship arrives in Naples on Tuesday, a day later than expected due to the vessel's slower-than-normal speed. Guests are expected to spend Tuesday night onboard and depart the ship on Wednesday. Passengers were enjoying the seventh day of a 12-day cruise from Venice to Barcelona. As a result, they'll miss going ashore to explore Rome and Florence (Livorno), two bucket-list destinations for most first-time Mediterranean cruisers. Theyll also miss a port call at Toulon, France. Princess Care Team has been sent to Naples to assist passengers and make flight arrangements. In addition, the line said it will provide a full refund as well as a 25 percent future cruise credit to guests on the shortened voyage. The power problem surfaced at 1:30 p.m. local time on Sunday. The captain notified guests of the situation, the ship slowed to conserve existing power and the ships emergency generator kicked in to maintain such important services as lighting and toilets.
Some passengers indicated that they experienced power outages of 3.5 to six hours. Guests also reported issues with air conditioning, electrical and plumbing, but Princess told the online consumer cruise site that those issues were unrelated to the outage. Whats the status of the ships next cruise? The line said: "The impact of the repairs on the next Royal Princess cruise, scheduled to depart from Barcelona on September 27, is not yet known and we will keep passengers fully advised as details become known." Power issues have plagued several ships this year, most notably Carnival Triumph after an onboard fire earlier this year. Princess Cruise Line is owned by Carnival Corp. The vessel is sailing throughout the Mediterranean this summer, and will reposition later this fall to Port Everglades, FL, for the winter season.
For more information, contact TheCruiseOutlet.com at 203-288-1884 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, September 23, 2013
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Norwegian Cruise Line will expand the interactive touch-screen signage first introduced on Norwegian Breakaway to the entire fleet by summer 2015. The digital signs let guests get directions and make reservations for dining, shore excursions and entertainment with a scan of their stateroom key. The screens will also be included on the Norwegian Getaway upon delivery in February. When the project is complete, each Norwegian ship will have 30 to 50 touch and static screens in prominent locations. Guests also can use the touch screens to order beverages, flowers, dining packages and more. The signs provide directions and maps to other locations on board. The signs also can communicate safety information in case of an emergency